Monday, August 6, 2007

Coast Camp






We had a great time. I wasn't sure-hiking three miles in with all of our gear for one night camping did not sound time efficient, for one thing. It wasn't. It was even worse than I had imagined because Sam's newspapers were later than usual being dropped off. By the time he'd folded and delivered them and we drove to Pt. Reyes it was well after three. An hour of hiking in (Louis and Jesse took the biggest packs) putting up the tent and getting other gear ready, and it was already time for dinner. Then, camp magic. Otherwise known as merlot. Add that to veg. packets roasting on the grill, my great boys goofing off and laughing, and a harmonica.
I realize the harmonica might only have been magic for me, but the rest of the crew, recognizing that it was my birthday after all, did not complain about my playing, however I did get a gift certificate for a harmonica lesson when I got back home.
The next day Louis and I walked on the beach while the boys slept and perused tide pools filled with starfish and anemones. Back at camp we packed up and headed back for the car. Three miles and the boys were way ahead of us the whole time. It was hardly any time ago we were cajoling them to please keep up. I played my harmonica again while we walked and Tule elk stook up from their beds on the hill and stared.
We had pastries at the Bovine Bakery in Point Reyes Station before driving back to the house. A fast camping trip and an excellent birthday.

No comments: